Thursday, March 10, 2011

Love Letter

Late last year, my grandma passed away. She grew up in England and always remained a proper English lady. I loved that about her. She had an accent and told great stories of this far away place she once lived. Before she passed, she asked my Dad to e-mail us love letters that my grandpa had sent her when she moved from England to California after they were married, with my Uncle Terry. My grandpa is not outwardly affectionate, and today I wanted to share his letter.

10 March 45
My Darling Joyce,
It’s just eight P.M. here and noon where you are. I often compare the time and wonder what you are doing now. It seems so darn funny to have eaten supper and then stop and think that you haven’t even had lunch yet. Gee honey but I’m lonesome for you. I’ve been down to Mrs. A’s this afternoon but didn’t stay long. Cpl Butcher [Cpl Jess J. Butcher from Los Angeles, California] and his wife and baby are there now and I just sit back and take in the whole room. Here is what I saw, Butcher was sitting in my chair, his wife in yours, and the baby was in Mrs. A’s chair screeming her head off. Mrs. A was out in the kitchen getting tea and I was sitting on the settee by the window. Darling I got so darn nervous thinking that we used to be there together and that are in El Cajon, and I’m here alone. Does it make sense to you?
Anyway honey I just couldn’t stand the thoughts that were going through my mind. I guess I’m jelous of them. Gosh honey but it seems like years since I was with you in that same house.
I did so look forward to getting your first letter today and then when it didn’t arrive I felt all goffey like. I always feel the best in the morning because I say to myself that this is the day I’ll get that letter, then no letter ------------. I do hope you are getting on alright with my family, please tell me if you aren’t. I received Louise’s mail written on Feb 26th. Well my darling I’ll close here and go to bed thinking about you and about getting your letter tomorrow. Kiss Terry for me. Have some pictures taken of him.
All my love,
Steve
PS. If only I were with you now!


I'm not sure if I would've had the strength to go through what they did, but I am glad that this kind of love runs in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment