Thursday, May 6, 2010

5K Training – Cinco de Mayo Hash

The past week and a half have been really hard on me. The heat and humidity is a stresser that I’m still adjusting to. Its become a mental game where I try to rationalize laying out in my hammock with a good book over running.

I’ve learned that I need to drink more water, and really watch what I eat to be sure I have the carbs needed for the heat. I’ve also learned that I need to work on my focus and I need to find a mantra to keep me going.

I ran my first 800’s last Thursday. They kicked my butt. My goal was to run 800 meters in under 5 min, with 5 min rest, 4 times. I started out too fast the 1st run. I worried more about the time then what my body was telling me. I was running at a good pace, but I had to quit after 400 meters. This was instantly frustrating. After walking the remaining 400 and resting 5 min, I ran the next 3 800s under 3.5min.
Looking back now I’m very proud that I pushed through and finished, but I know I can do better. Today I have 800’s again. I’m hoping to be better prepared today. I have my water, I have nothing to focus on except my time.

Yesterday I went to my 2nd hash. Dan couldn’t go because he had a MMA class, but I took one of our good friend’s, Clint, and he had a great time. After his g/f runs the mini on Saturday, he’s going to get her to come! Once you try it, you can’t quit!. Hashing makes running fun. It refreshes my outlook and gives me motivation. I found a true trail on one of the many boob checks (ugg, extra running if you’re not willing to you’re your tatas, which I’m not) and I’m very proud of myself. After talking to the other hashers at one of many Beer Checks (3 this time!), most of them have run mini’s, 5 and 10ks. So, I have a good network of support. They usually have a stand towards the end of the big races handing out beer. I’m hoping to learn from their experiences, and to lean on them for motivation when I have weeks like this. I’m really sad I’m going to miss the Prom Hash on the 15th. The count down to the 29th begins!

2 comments:

  1. I feel like a doof, but how far is an 800? ;\ lol. sounds like you are doing really well! I ran on the treadmill for 18 minutes without stopping yesterday--that is a huge success for me! almost back to my 2+miles in 20min speed from college. fx I get back there soon :) and I really do want to do the next hash with you! I need to check the date and write it on the calendar

    ReplyDelete
  2. 800 meters is just barely under 1/2 mile. I just up to 18 minutes of running just a month ago so you're doing great! Keep it up. The next hash that I'm going to is May 29th. Its a special hash for the 500. June 2nd is the next Hump Day Hash.

    ReplyDelete