Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Developing a Green Thumb

Yesterday, I made my first plant purchase for our new house. I am very excited for these plants to come in! I ordered the following plants from Spring Hill Nursery, and got a great deal!  Everything except the vegetable garden was only $150.

We plan on putting the Three Season Garden in the front of the house in front of the music room window. Also, a lilac bush in front of the address block and on the side of the garage.
In the back, I’m going to put the Easy Care Shade Garden under the living room window, to the left of where the patio will go. I also bought a Purple Hydrangea to put by the corner where the kitchen is to frame the deck a little.
For the back tree line, I got 3 Hedge Rose bushes. Dan and I are going to dig up some Honey Suckle to put back there as well. This should help add some color a little lower. Plus, being so far from the house, this will keep the bees away from the deck.

I laid out our raised garden bed my mother-in-law got me for my birthday last year. I’m going to use it for our vegetable garden. Here is the layout I was thinking. Its only 4’x4’, but with only two of us, I think we will have plenty. I’m going to use the square foot method of planting.


The Tomatoes and herbs are in pots. I also ordered a Strawberry Kit.  Its an everberry so we should have strawberries all summer.

Hopefully we’ll be planting the vegetable garden this week/weekend and the flowers should be in between the 11th and 18th.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome Nicole! Can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome!! will you come help me with mine? I will come help with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I'll help with yours. I have to tell you that I don't know what I'm doing and I am getting a lot of help from my mom and mother-in-law. But, I'm sure we can convince Marsha to help. She knows sooo much about this and she's really good at knowing what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! We just came in to cool off for a second from working to remove a big bush in the corner of the yard. Going back out in a sec to lay out some raised beds in that area (near the trampoline). I need a square foot planner like that! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha, the square foot planner was really easy to do. Just divide your raised beds into 1'x 1' squares. Here is what I found for how many vegetable plants can be in a square foot:
    9 onions, beets beans peas, garlic, or spinach
    16 carrots or radishes
    4 lettuce, chard, marigolds, or kohlrabi
    1 tomato, pepper, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, or corn
    1 squash, cucumber, or melon per 2 sq.ft.

    ReplyDelete