Thursday, April 22, 2010

5K Training - Hashing

For 4 years now, I have watched my husband set a training goal and either meet or exceed it very quickly. Nothing gets in his way. His friends come and help, he doesn’t think twice about making it a part of his schedule as if it was work. Not to mention, he just keeps looking better and better as the years go on.

I, however, need to be in a social setting to work out. I need to schedule a class with someone in order to stick with it. I need the accountability of meeting someone to be motivated.

I took Belly Dance classes in Muncie, but they closed down. I took a class in Noblesville after moving to Indy, but that class only lasted for a couple months. I tried another class in Greenwood, but the class was more about exercise rather than technique. I don’t really understand this because when you working on technique, you are really exercising. Belly dance really works your core; from your arms to your quads. It even works your neck and fingers!


I’ve tried tapes at home for yoga and belly dance, but staying consistent is impossible.

I finally got tired of not accomplishing or sticking to anything. The added 10lbs from the wedding and the new house was a big motivator as well. For one of my New Year’s Resolutions, I decided that this year, I would run a 5k in 30 min or less.

I’ve never been much of a runner. I tried track and field in middle school and by the end of the summer, I still couldn’t run more than a ¼ mile without walking. Pathetic.

So, Dan and I joined the Y, and all winter we would go after I got off work twice a week. I started by walking 5 minutes, and then running for up to 3 minutes, with a 1-2 min walk in between. I start running at 5mph and slowly worked my way up to 6. I was doing great! He even convinced me to start lifting weights.

Then spring hit. I was so excited to start running outside. Fresh air, sun, outdoors! What could be better?

Well, first rain was my excuse. Then it was once I got home, I would get involved in dinner, or cleaning, or taking care of something that there wasn’t time. I even tried taking Daisy with me when Dan couldn’t, but she’s lazier then I am. She has this imaginary boundary around the neighborhood that she can’t go out of. She just sits down and stares at me. Finally, 2 weeks passed and I had gone for a run once. Sad.

I really didn’t want to quit on this goal either. I was frustrated because I felt like I wasn’t progressing, and I wasn’t really training anymore. Then, Dan, my personal trainer and husband, heard about something called Hashing.

What is hashing? Well, it’s a social group where they meet 3 times a month to run. But, to make it more interesting, they include beer, a hunt, cool nicknames, traditions, penalties, and songs. At first, I was a little concerned. Running and drinking sounds like a recipe to puking, and the traditions and penalties sound like there’s room for hazing. That’s not really my thing. But, I sucked it up and went with Dan last night. I have to get this training thing back on schedule.

We had a blast. Its $6 to go on a hash (to pay for beer), and you get introduced to Pissing Ditzy, Camo Toe, and 20lb Pussy. Nick names are used to protect people from stigma from co-workers. If you don’t want anyone to know you Hash, no one will know. Dan and I were Virgins because it was our first run. We also were called Just Nicole and Just Dan. You don’t get a nickname until after your 6th hash. There were around 25-30 people there.

Now to the hunt. There are two people who are called “Hares.” These two take jugs of flour and chalk and it’s their job to mark a trail. The “Hashers,” or runners/walkers, follow the trail. No one knows where they are going before you get there. Your goal as a Hasher is to catch the Hares. If you do, the Hares have to drink. So, the Hares will mark false trails and will leave beer and food on the ground to slow you down. After a 10 min head start, the Hashers start off after the Hares.

Oh my God, this was so fun. We started in Broad Ripple Park and ran through neighborhoods and by Glendale mall. It was nice to see parts of Broad Ripple other than the bars. You can also go at your own pace. A majority of the people just walk and socialize. Dan and I ran because this is part of my new training schedule. Dan can run a lot faster and longer than I can, so while I ran with him when we were “On Trail,” he would go off and find the “True Trail” once we came to a “Check.” So, he got a huge kick out of the competitiveness, I got a kick out of socializing. We both liked seeing Broad Ripple and of course the Beer.

After the run (3-5 miles in about 2 hrs) you get in a circle and do “Down Downs.” Here is where all the songs come into play. Penalties are handed out and the punishment is drinking! That I can handle. Someone had ELFudge Keebler cookies there as a reward for finishing. Yum! I’m thinking this should be the reward every time I go for a run.
Afterwards, everyone goes to a Bar to eat and drink some more. Now, we didn’t get to go the “On After”, but next time we will plan better for it.

That’s it. It’s just a bunch of people, who get together and play fox and hound around Indy, and drink.

So, here is my new training schedule for my goal of running a 5k under 30min by June 15th:
Tuesdays – Normal Run 30-35min as far as you can go without worrying about speed.
Hash Days – Wednesdays or Saturdays, 3x’s/month
Thursdays – 800’s – Run 800 meters under 5 minutes, 4 reps decreasing rest times each week
Saturdays – Normal Run

Wish me luck and I hope some of you decide to Hash with us!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. that sounds so freaking incredible!! holy cow. that is crazy. you will have to let me know when the next one is! it totally makes me think of college! and then I get kind of sad LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah this is hilarious. I have never heard of this before but whatever works to get people moving!! Good luck Nicole you are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete