Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Craft Day

If you read my little “About Me” section I wrote “I spend my days...pretending to be artsy through various craft projects.”

Well, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’ve never posted anything on here about my projects.  There is a reason for this.  I have a problem.  I never finish anything.  If I don’t finish it in a week, it stays unfinished.  And yet, each month I spend too much money stock piling my craft room.  I have supplies for paintings, a ¾ of the way done wall hanging, a baby blanket I started when my sister was pregnant 5 years ago, a market bag I started this winter, and 2 scrapbooks (one for vacation and one for Dan’s fighting) with a whole 2 pages finished in each.

Yet I still have a file of projects that I want to do.  Including one I did yesterday.  Thankfully, I was able to finish it!  I must admit, I impressed myself with it.

Framed Earring Holder. 
Adapted from Positively Splendid.

Supplies:
  • 5x7 Wooden Frame (I bought my painted but you can go to the dollar store and re-paint one yourself)
  • Burlap or Canvas (I found some in the remnant pile at my craft store)
  • Self-Adhesive Monogram Letter (No sewing=added bonus).  You could also use a stencil and paint, like Positveily Splendid.
  • Scissors
  • Hot Glue
  • Staple Gun
  • Decorative Flowers (I bought fake ones, but there are a lot of cute ideas to make your own)
Directions:
  1. Take out the glass and backing of the Frame.
  2. Cut your Burlap/Canvas to fit the 5x7 frame.
  3. Either paint or place the Monogram letter on your canvas.
  4. Using your staple Gun (this was so much fun), stretch your canvas and staple to the back of the   frame.  I decided for added support, I would staple mine to the Frame Backer with the stand so I didn’t have to hang mine.
5.      Place backer back in frame.
6.      Cut out leaves from the burlap and glue to the frame.  Hot glue the flowers.

7.      Add earrings.
8.    Sit back and enjoy this super easy, crafty, stylish earring holder you just made.  Be sure to have a glass of wine to celebrate and make your husband congratulate you on finishing a project.

I don't have kids, but I think this would be really fun to do, and easy to make.  To the guys out there, don't forget, Mother's Day is coming up.  I'm thinking I have a couple of mom's who may get a personalize earring holder in a couple of weeks.  That is, if I can bring myself to finish more projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment