Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Work

Don’t worry, this isn’t really about my work, but more about my work place.  We had an exciting afternoon yesterday.  And since no had said I couldn’t talk about it, I’m going to!

Yesterday around 3pm, as I was just putting my 1st ELISA plate on to read, the fire alarm went off.  I looked around to see if anyone else is leaving, and decided to go ahead and start my plate, walk back to my desk to grab my coat and purse before heading out.  As we climb down the stairs we start hearing the safety team yell “This is not a drill.  The fire is in our building.”  Umm..what??!!


So, we get outside and immediately start to try and find the fire.  We could smell something every once and a while that went from a toast smell to burnt plastic, but other than a little smoke coming out of the air vent above my desk, nothing could be seen.  This caused a little panic as I didn’t want to lose my desk, until I realized there was a possibility for a few paid days off.

Once the initial shock wore off, I realized I didn’t check in with my safety person (whoops), I eventually found my way to my designated spot.  After checking in, I find out my supervisor hasn’t been located.  After a couple texts and phone calls, it turns out she had an emergency at her farm and had to leave.  Now I know why it’s important people know where you are.

Thankfully I grabbed my coat because it was cold out.  We were outside for about 2 hours before security came out and told us that we could go in to get our belongings, but then we had to leave.  We were instructed not to do any work.  They had to cut a hole in the ceiling to finishing putting the fire out.

Well, I still had plates to read and I wasn’t going to waste a half a day’s work for a stinkin fire, so I finished up reading my plates and left.  I came back to work today to find my desk in perfect shape.  No extra days off, but at least things were a bit more exciting than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment