Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cake Pops

Note: You can make your own cake and frosting recipe, but to be sure these turned out as promised, I used the store bought. Some people have claimed success using donut holes which would save a lot of time.

What you’ll need:
18.25-ounce box cake mix
9-by-13 inch cake pan
Large mixing bowl
16-ounce container ready-made frosting
Large spoon
Wax paper
2 baking sheets
Plastic wrap
Lolly Pop Sticks
32 ounce (2 pounds) candy coating
Deep,microwave-safe plastic bowl
Resealable plastic bag or squeeze bottle (optional)

Directions:

Bake cake according to box, and let cool for at least one hour. I let mine cool ON, because I didn’t have time to finish it all in one day.

Crumble cake into a large bowl and slowly add frosting. You want to add just enough to have the cake come together. I think I added just a little too much frosting in mine. Stick in fridge. I let mine stay in for about an hour.

Form cake into balls. Mine were a little large. I used a melon scoop and my balls ended up being about 1” in diameter. I ended up with about 25 balls, so I may half the size to get around 40 (which is what people online are saying this makes). Stick in fridge.

Melt chocolate candy according to the bag (1/2 power for 1min, then stirring adding an additional 30sec until completely melted). Take one Lolly Pop stick and dip into the candy. Then place ¾ of the way into the cake balls. Let set. (I let mine set in the freezer overnight, but Bakerella said this can cause your candy to crack, which mine did. I tried 15min in the fridge, but the cake balls fell off. I also don’t think I got ¾ of the way into the cake balls. So, maybe 20-35min in the fridge?)

Once the sticks have set, dip into melted chocolate candy to cover. Don’t twirl the balls too much, but try and dip straight down to cover the entire ball. Mine didn’t cover all the way and the cake balls started to come out the bottom. After dipping, tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Set in Styrofoam and let set. (mine set in about 10 min).

I decorated mine with white chocolate candy melted, and mixed with red food coloring, but this was added after the cake pops had set. As a result, the pink décor fell off some of them.

So, I had some issues with mine, but they tasted fantastic, and I think they turned out pretty good for a first run. I might make some for St. Patrick’s Day just so I can try and perfect the process.

Good luck with yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment