Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mary Mary..How does your Garden Grow??

I have the worse luck with indoor plants.  Many of ivys, potted flowers, and aloe plants have died in my apartments.  Until now!

These are plants given to Dan during his hospital stay.  Part of me felt like if I could just keep these plants alive, Dan will be fine.  Here we are 9 months later, and they are doing fantastic!  And true to my gut, Dan is doing great as well.  I haven't gotten the Peace Lilly to re-bloom, but it's not dead!

I started some plants from seed (I know, hold the applause), and they have all officially sprouted!  I'm so excited to move them outside.  I'm thinking of making a tiered terra cotta planter for the front stoop.


I wish I could tell you the one thing I'm doing that has changed my luck.  I do check these plants almost every day because I'm excited by their success, and am afraid of jinxing things.  So, they are being talked to, soil checked, and my lilly gets dusted.  I also have more windows in my house, so the plants are getting sun.  All of my apartments were like little dungeons, so I'm sure the sun helps a lot.  The only other thing that I've changed, is I'm keeping the plants away from my computer.  Before, my plants were kept on computer desks, because this is where I spent my time.  Now, they are in bigger rooms, away from heat sources.

As far as my outside garden:

My crocuses came up and lasted a good 2 weeks before the winds blew the petals away.  Last year, we had rabbits who ate them after one day.  My daffodils aren't blooming yet, but I see buds on them as well as my tulips and hyacinths.  I'm starting to see new iris growth as well.  I love when my front bulbs bloom because Dan and my MIL planted them for me.  Dan doesn't buy me flowers very often.  Instead, he planted me flowers that will bloom every year just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment