Friday, March 11, 2011

Recipe Roundup

Here are my recipes for all the yummy food I’ve been talking about:
Sugar Free Coconut Macaroons
I followed the recipe from the link, but added a handful of Organic Raw Cacao Nibs and a handful of almond slices so they would taste more like a Mounds Bar. I also used Organic Coconut Flour instead of the raw coconut.  I need to play with this recipe because the macaroons were really soft, and stuck to my wax paper really badly. They never browned on top. I’m going to try adding melted coconut oil instead of the water, to see if this will help. They were fantastic though. Clint even said that he doesn’t like coconut, but he liked these.

Summer Squash and Zucchini

This is my favorite vegetable side. Every time I go to the store, I have to pick one of each up. The best part of this recipe is that it only takes 5 min to cook.
In a small skillet, add about 2T of your fav. EVOO infused butter (you can use EVOO if you prefer). Melt the butter on med heat to coat the skillet.
Slice the squash and zucchini. You want the slices to be about 1/4” wide to avoid them turning into mush.
Before adding to the skillet, season the zucchini and squash with salt and pepper. This is key. Salt them. It really brings out the flavor.
Add the zucchini to the skillet, then the squash and squirt in about 1teaspoon of lemon juice and cover. Cook over med-lo heat for about 5 min stirring occasionally. If they squash starts to turn translucent, then they are starting to turn mushy. Remove from heat and serve (hopefully before they start to become mushy).


Fried Chicken

Fried chicken has become a staple food in our house.  We have it once a week usually.  I stick to drumsticks and wings, but I did a few breasts have on a salad with lunch.  So tasty and I had people envious at my lunch.

Thaw chicken over night in the fridge.  Some people soak their chicken in a brine or cold water, but I don't.  With 4 pets, the chicken would be plucked right out of the cold water.

In a large skillet, heat on med-hi enough coconut oil to cover bottom 1/2 inch of pan.  I usually use 1 1/2 cup solid coconut oil and 1/2 cup EVOO.  I have a BIG pan.
Combine 2 cups flour with 1Tbsp paprika, 1tsp pepper and 1tsp salt.
Dredge chicken in the spiced flour.
Place chicken in oil and cover.
Turn chicken after 10 min to cook the other side and cover.
Cook chicken to 160F.  A cooking thermometer is your friend.
Immediately remove from heat and place on a paper towel to remove the extra oil.  Let the chicken rest for at least 5 min.

Hints:  Your dark meat will take longer, so cook your legs before your wings.
Your flour coating will be a dark crispy brown when chicken is done.  If you cook your chicken too long, it will turn to jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment